Monitoring and Evaluation for Results 10-days
Monitoring and evaluation of projects and programmes using results approaches
Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) for Results is for managers and monitoring and evaluation officers who need to supervise, manage, plan and implement M&E in their projects and programmes. The course addresses M&E for the entire results chain, including the all-important outcomes.
This 10-day course covers the principles, and embeds the practice of M&E for results. You can attend this 10-day course and later attend our Theory of Change or Leadership and Management for Development training (within a 12 month period) and receive our Certificate in Applied Evaluation or Certificate in Development Management.
Why choose this course
Delivered by our practitioners with extensive participatory field experience, this is the leading M&E course for development professionals. Those responsible for project or programme-level M&E benefit from the latest M&E thinking and practice, including results approaches. This course will enable you to bring the learning into practice and to understand the difference between data, information and knowledge which is a key aspect to ensure strategic decision making.
What you will learn
Through a mix of practical activities, theory and examples of effective practice you will learn how to:
- decide what and how to monitor with different stakeholders
- clarify key results at the programme-level using logic models
- plan a project using the logical framework
- develop indicators and targets
- participatory methods for data collection and analysis
- design and manage evaluation
- use your M&E findings to stimulate learning, improvement and stakeholder buy-in.
- develop and work with a practical M&E system
Daily Course Objectives
Subject to change to reflect participants' needs.
Week 1: Principles of M&E for Results
The changing role and practice of M&E
- M&E fundamentals
- results approaches: outputs, outcomes and impact
- relate M&E to your programme and project cycle
- identify stakeholders and their differing needs and roles
- develop logic models
- work with and beyond logframes
Developing M&E frameworks
- criteria for indicators
- develop project indicators
- identify means of verification
- quantitative and qualitative approaches and instruments
- data organisation, quality assurance and analysis
- design baseline, evaluation and impact studies
M&E system and plan
- prepare M&E plan
- M&E system
- week 1 learning synthesis
Week 2: Embedding key M&E practices and apply these to your live work cases or a local organisation
- situation and context analysis
- critical overview of logframes
- design evaluations for stakeholder benefit and use
- choice and use of qualitative and quantitative collection instruments
- making use of M&E data/information/knowledge
Participatory data collection methods
- Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA) techniques
- timeline exercises
- focus group discussions
- key informant interviews
Learning sysnthesis and reflection
- innovative M&E approaches (Theory of Change)
- participant presentations preparation
Using what you have learnt
- participant presentations
- embedding learning for personal and organisational benefit
- becoming change agents for M&E.
What our participants say
"I have attended several monitoring and evaluation trainings but the IMA International Results-based M&E training was exceptional. Great exercises, great learning!"
D. Emmanuel Williams, M&E Director, Ministry of Finance and Development Planning, Liberia
"Excellent, comprehensive and well executed course that provides a good overview of M&E. Friendly atmosphere and good spirit - and everything's so well organised."
Matts Weurlander, Programme Officer, UNAids, Kenya
"IMA organises very good participatory training methods. I will be using this training to help set up our M&E system to track results and impact of my organisations work."
Souleymana Mamane, Operations Director, World Vision International, Niger
"This M&E course has been the best and most enlightening I have ever attended. It focused on the real issues and challenges in my current job environment. The knowledge sharing among participants was really enriching.
Isaac Isika, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, Water Services Trust Fund, Kenya
IMA has an excellent combination of good trainers and staff. A well organised quality training with great content, that combines knowledge with practice and fun. A rich blend of international participation and shared experience. It enhances team work and promotes good partnership. With IMA training, you become an agent for positive change.
Esinu Abbey,Community Water and Sanitation Agency Ghana
Meet the Trainer
"A great strength of the IMA approach to training lies in the diversity of opportunities it provides for participants to learn. Participants who feel comfortable with more conventional study methods can draw on the well organized readings and power point presentations. Those who learn most by doing and sharing can benefit from the innovative range of participatory exercises. Mick Howes, IMA consultant
- 10 days/5 days
- Application Deadline
- 12-23 Jun 17
- 09 Jun 17
- Cape Town
- 25 Sep 17-06 Oct 17
- 25 Aug 17
- 20 Nov 17-01 Dec 17
- 20 Oct 17
- 19 Feb 18-02 Mar 18
- 22 Jan 18
- Cape Town
- 09-20 Apr 18
- 16 Mar 18
- Apply for this course online or call us: www.imainternatonal.com +44 (0)1273 883030 firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the training enquiry form. We also do this as in-house training of this course contact us to find out more.
- 02 May 2017 - 05 May 2017
Knowledge Management - Brussels, Belgiumconfirmed
- 05 Jun 2017 - 23 Jun 2017
Certificate in Development Management - Brighton, United Kingdomconfirmed
- 05 Jun 2017 - 09 Jun 2017
Leadership and Management in Development - Brighton, United Kingdomconfirmed
- 12 Jun 2017 - 23 Jun 2017
Monitoring and Evaluation for Results 10-days - Brighton, United Kingdomconfirmed
- 12 Jun 2017 - 16 Jun 2017
Monitoring and Evaluation for Results 5-days - Brighton, United Kingdomconfirmed
- 10 Jul 2017 - 14 Jul 2017
Public Private Partnerships for Development - Nairobi, Kenya