Leadership and Management in Development
Reach your potential
This training course is dedicated to helping you to become an efficient and successful manager so that you can more efficiently influence and coordinate action with others. During the five days you put into practice all the theories that are covered, making it an incredibly practical course. If you can attend this training and later attend our M&E for Results 10 day course(within a 12 month period) you will receive our Certificate in Development Management.
Why choose this course
Whether you are new or experienced manager, this course is for you if you either manage or lead a team, projects, programme, functional area or relate to varied stakeholders. We cover gobally recognised management and leadership theories, tools and techniques and adapt them to your needs, putting each one into practice. You get to network and learn with others in the development sector, exercise new knowledge and skills on topics including influence, motivation and power analysis. Finally, you leave this leaderhip and management training course with a clear plan of how to apply what you have learnt, directly to your work.
What you will learn
Through a mix of interactive facilitation,experiential activity and coaching you learn how to:
- leverage your natural ability to lead and prioritise demands
- understand your learning and leadership preferences and how to adapt them to others' needs
- analyse your network and prepare for those new conversations that will make a difference
- give and receive feedback
- reflect on your own leadership style and presence.
Daily Course Objectives
Subject to change to reflect participants' needs.
Setting yourself up for success
- the differences between leading and managing
- identify and prioritise demands - what is realistic?
- identify leadership styles
Understanding the power of your relationships and the nature of your motivation
- stakeholder and network mapping
- examine motivation
- understand what motivates you and your network
Developing individual and team performance
- linking motivation to skill
- holding conversations that matter
- the art of feedback
What makes teams effective
- understanding the nature of teams
- characteristics of effective teams and team leaders
Leading into the future
- examining power relations
- exploring leadership presence
- action planning.
What our participants say
"The best course I have participated in throughout my working life. The course was extremely insightful and has served as a catalyst for personal development in so many ways at work and outside work. It has opened my mind to many things and what I can be. I am certainly trying hard at putting into practice the learnings from the course. In fact it has made a great positive impact in our group.
Nibras Sakafi, GIZ Bangladesh
"I came to participate in a programme and ended with receiving an exceptional gift: a voyage to improving and appreciating myself. Many thanks to IMAâ€™s experts."
Armelle Le Theix, World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) Switzerland
"This course put together some of the most important issues in management, it took me 10 years to realise which ones these were. So if you attend this course early in your career you will have an incredible start ahead."
Franco Scotti, Project Director, Swisscontact, Mozambique
"I recommend it to all development professionals looking to improve their skills in gathering people/teams around a common goal, presenting ideas and vision, successfully getting the best out of hosting meetings and achieving goals through working with people."
Golden Mwila, Director of Finance & Administration,Churches Health Association of Zambia
"I enjoyed this course very much, mostly because it was evident how useful the tools we were being provided would serve me. I have been applying them from the day I got back to work and I'm sharing them with my colleagues in Guatemala. I have found much benefit from choosing a positive language when communicating and in better delegating and trusting my teammates."
Lorena Moreira, Futures Group, Guatemala
Meet the Trainer
"Watching both new and experienced managers on these courses, share knowledge and develop new skills has always fascinated me. Meeting many of them back at their workplace and talking through real experiences and challenges supported by our training is a great feeling."
Chris Grose, IMA Managing Director
- five days
- Application Deadline
- 05-09 Jun 17
- 05 May 17
- 13-17 Nov 17
- 13 Oct 17
- Apply for this Leadership and Management for Development training course online or call us +44 (0)1273 883030 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the training enquiry form. We also run leadership and management courses as in-house training for organisations, contact us to find out more.
- 02 May 2017 - 05 May 2017
Knowledge Management - Brussels, Belgiumconfirmed
- 05 Jun 2017 - 23 Jun 2017
Certificate in Development Management - Brighton, United Kingdomconfirmed
- 05 Jun 2017 - 09 Jun 2017
Leadership and Management in Development - Brighton, United Kingdomconfirmed
- 12 Jun 2017 - 23 Jun 2017
Monitoring and Evaluation for Results 10-days - Brighton, United Kingdomconfirmed
- 12 Jun 2017 - 16 Jun 2017
Monitoring and Evaluation for Results 5-days - Brighton, United Kingdomconfirmed
- 10 Jul 2017 - 14 Jul 2017
Public Private Partnerships for Development - Nairobi, Kenya